Author Topic: Not Every Fox is "Evil" - Some Warrior RPers Get too Carried Away  (Read 13481 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Re: Not Every Fox is "Evil" - Some Warrior RPers Get too Carried Away
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
yes i only attack a fox if it actualy attacks the clan im in.
Same here. When I'm roleplaying in a clan, I won't confront foxes unless they are attacking our clan. Often times my warrior character tries to bargin with them, before resorting to fighting. If the "I will give you this freshly killed jack rabbit if you promise not to bother us anymore," thing doesn't work, I go for plan B.

I'm sorry you had to experience this LadyAlizarin, and anyone else who had to D: I know the feeling of getting attacked for now reason x.x But I'm going to try and explain the Warrior RP's point of view, since I used to RP as Warrior cats and I have read the series. So here I go (just to be clear Im not defending or attacking any side, just simply trying to shed some light on the other side of this problem)

In the series, the main enemy of the Clans were other Clans. But, of course, it would get a bit boring if all the cats did was beat the stuffing out of each other. So, the Erins had to add more antagonists. They chose Dogs, natural enemies with cats. Makes sense right? But in the fifth book in the first Arc, the main Clan had a huge problem with a pack of dog-wolf things, and they defeated them. So that takes dogs out of the picture for a while. So again, an antagonist spot is needing to be filled. So foxes were chosen. The the books (obviously not in real life as shown above) foxes cannot communicate with cats, and would attack without question, and would sometimes be mentioned at Gatherings (when the Clans join together) when they ate a kit. So I am guessing the Warrior RPs are trying to stick to the books as much as they can, and so when they see a fox, the connect the dots.

Then again though, it does not give them the right to attack random RPers out of no where. So yeah, just trying to give the other side of the situation x3x

The whole thing about going by the books is understandable. However, if I were some of those clan cat roleplayers, I would only worry about a fox that actually wants to steal food or steel a kit. I have seen only a very few fox characters go around clan cats to start a fight or take a kit. BUT I've actually seen more sparklewolves attack clan kits than I have seen foxes... believe it or not.

With some of these clan cat roleplayers, you really can't change their minds. Even when my fox character, Kopper, tries to explain that she isn't like all the "evil" foxes the clan cats have encountered, they still won't trust her and want to tear her apart. There have been times when Kopper's StarClan ghost friend had to step in and persuade the clan cats from doing her any harm. Sometimes the StarClan ghost's words will work and the clan cats will calm down, while other times they actually wanted to attack the StarClanner for being a "traitor" to their kind.  ::) I guess each Warrior clan and roleplayer is different. There are some who don't bother attacking my little fox characters, while others just go bizerk.
Inactive

Offline Hotdogsrule

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • i eat cereal at 6 pm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:37:36 am »
Yes. I can't even think about going into Flourite as a fox, because I'll probably be powerplay-slaughtered by a couple of kittens two seconds after I connect.

bork
(i don't even like hotdogs)

Offline FantasyDawn

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Lover of Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:59:36 am »
I think people see foxes "evil" because mostly in fantasy stories or other movies,they have a sly nature,animals that you can't trust.For example,remember the Balto:Wolf's Quest movie?At some point he encounters a fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDH5xQXBRgk

Now,this is a fandub,but it's the scene.The fox is seen as "the cunning trickster".As you can see,she has an evil appearance,BUT.by pushing Balto into the river,she actually led him to the correct path his daughter went to. So she does play a good part doesn't she?   

"Derpa-Derp."

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
I think people see foxes "evil" because mostly in fantasy stories or other movies,they have a sly nature,animals that you can't trust.For example,remember the Balto:Wolf's Quest movie?At some point he encounters a fox.   

Holy cow! She looks like my character Kopper! Lol, I knew that since this fox's image was my inspiration for Kopper.

Anywho, I see what you mean with this clip even though the fox was actually helping him. I don't know of many stories where a fox was an antagonist.... except for the Warrior series. The only other one I know of would be the fairy tale of The Gingerbread Man. At the end of the story, the fox offers to give the gingerbread man a ride across the river on his back. The fox convinces the gingerbread man to ride up on his head, then he flips the gingerbread man into the air, catches him in his mouth, and eats him.

All other fantasy and fairy tale stories I've heard had the big bad wolf. All I ever hear about is the big bad wolf, and never the big bad fox.
Inactive

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 02:07:22 am »
Bleh. This is why I tend to keep out of the Warriors fandom. So many people take that series WAY too seriously, and really, the animal behavior depicted in that series is some of the most ridiculous and unrealistic I've read in any anthropomorphic animal fantasy. You would think the Erin Hunters would at least do a little research on the animals they were writing about. I mean sure, in nature feral cats kill foxes and foxes kill feral cats, but the way foxes are portrayed in Warriors is just so evil and mean-spirited.

I think you would like Tailchaser's Song. The relationship between feral cats and foxes is portrayed with much more respect and realism in that book.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline FantasyDawn

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Lover of Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:15 am »

Holy cow! She looks like my character Kopper! Lol, I knew that since this fox's image was my inspiration for Kopper.

Anywho, I see what you mean with this clip even though the fox was actually helping him. I don't know of many stories where a fox was an antagonist.... except for the Warrior series. The only other one I know of would be the fairy tale of The Gingerbread Man. At the end of the story, the fox offers to give the gingerbread man a ride across the river on his back. The fox convinces the gingerbread man to ride up on his head, then he flips the gingerbread man into the air, catches him in his mouth, and eats him.

All other fantasy and fairy tale stories I've heard had the big bad wolf. All I ever hear about is the big bad wolf, and never the big bad fox.

Hmmm,I remember a story where a fox managed to steal fish from a man.The bear asked her to give him some and she told him to put his tail in the water,this way he will get fish.And this is how the bear lost his tail and now he has a short one xD.This was my childhood story i must say.Or the one with the raven who had cheese in his beak,the fox tricked him in giving it to her.

"Derpa-Derp."

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »

Hmmm,I remember a story where a fox managed to steal fish from a man.The bear asked her to give him some and she told him to put his tail in the water,this way he will get fish.And this is how the bear lost his tail and now he has a short one xD.This was my childhood story i must say.Or the one with the raven who had cheese in his beak,the fox tricked him in giving it to her.

Never heard those stories, but they sound interesting.
I found some videos of cat and fox encounters. These foxes don't seem anything like what the books described.

This one should have been called Brave Fox vs Cat. That fox doesn't look well enough to fight, it's smaller than the cat. This fox looks so bad he looks like he is knocking on Death's door.

Or how about this one? He tries to get his fair share of the food, but doesn't. See how timid and careful this young fox is around these cats? That's NORMAL fox behaviour. Maybe if the fox were bigger and healthier, he could have had a better chance.
Inactive

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
Of course, foxes are certainly not "evil". I think they're very beautiful creatures and I hope to catch a glimpse of one in real-life rather than having to watch Springwatch.

I've never really gotten into the whole Warrior Cat thing; I've never read the books or joined a roleplay. I suppose if in that particular fandom foxes are considered evil then, fine. People roleplaying as a warrior cat will treat you as evil, and I'm alright with that, knowing that they're staying true to the fandom.

However, outside of the Warrior Cat fandom, it would be a different story. It's very rare that a fox would attempt to harm a cat in anyway. In Scotland, red foxes and wildcats are competitors for resources such as food, but it's unlikely they'll try to harm one another. Heck, I've seen videos on YouTube of a cat and fox playing together!
I don't know who heard about this, but during February this year in Britain, there was a news story about a fox sneaking into a person's house, attacking their baby and ended up biting its finger off. This provoked a lot of discussion, and some people were even considering bringing back fox hunting in certain areas.
Now, a fox might prowl around someone's house at night rumaging through their waste bins, but it is extremely rare for a fox to attack a human. This was obviously one of those rare occasions. There haven't been any stories like that in recent years as far as I'm aware. To be honest, I think it's the person's fault for attracting the fox by leaving waste out making it easy for the fox to get it...

Anyway, that's my contribution XD
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:11:18 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »

I don't know who heard about this, but during February this year in Britain, there was a news story about a fox sneaking into a person's house, attacking their baby and ended up biting its finger off. This provoked a lot of discussion, and some people were even considering bringing back fox hunting in certain areas.
Now, a fox might prowl around someone's house at night rumaging through their waste bins, but it is extremely rare for a fox to attack a human. This was obviously one of those rare occasions. There haven't been any stories like that in recent years as far as I'm aware. To be honest, I think it's the person's fault for attracting the fox by leaving waste out making it easy for the fox to get it...

Wow O.O That's quite a story. Even though this story sounds bizzare, it's not impossible. I wonder if that fox was infected with rabies? I have heard of cases of foxes attacking people, BUT the foxes were infected with the rabies virus when they attacked. A healthy fox is too timid of humans to go near them. But any animal that has rabies can be fearless of humans. This video clip from Animal Planet's Untamed & Uncut explains things a little better...

I have actually hand-fed a wild red fox before. That was over 10 years ago. He was a healthy little guy that was as timid as a rabbit. He would get spooked and chased by my Aunt's dog, and the dog was a bit smaller than the fox was.
Inactive

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:55 pm »

Wow O.O That's quite a story. Even though this story sounds bizzare, it's not impossible. I wonder if that fox was infected with rabies? I have heard of cases of foxes attacking people, BUT the foxes were infected with the rabies virus when they attacked. A healthy fox is too timid of humans to go near them. But any animal that has rabies can be fearless of humans. This video clip from Animal Planet's Untamed & Uncut explains things a little better...

I have actually hand-fed a wild red fox before. That was over 10 years ago. He was a healthy little guy that was as timid as a rabbit. He would get spooked and chased by my Aunt's dog, and the dog was a bit smaller than the fox was.

I don't know all the details of the situation. I don't think the fox was ill...but if anyone's interested you can read about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21399709

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)