Author Topic: Not Every Fox is "Evil" - Some Warrior RPers Get too Carried Away  (Read 13479 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
There is something that I noticed when it comes to roleplaying as a fox out in Flourite Plains (and other maps of FH). Often times if I play as ANY one of my fox characters, and come across a clan of Warrior Cats I never met before, 9/10 they want to RIP my head off and kill me. Even when I play as one of my fennec fox characters, they want to beat the living floof out of my little fennec character.
For those who aren't too familiar with Warrior Cats, there is a reason why they do this in their roleplays. According to the Warrior books series, foxes are dangerous enemies to clan cats. Foxes will attack warriors, and steal the kits to eat them. Here is some stuff I found on Warrior.wikia.com... I know I shouldn't trust wikia.com since anyone can edit it, but this is what I found.

Description
Foxes are not friendly, and in the Warriors series, they are mentioned to be harsh and cruel. Most foxes have bushy tails and straight, pointed ears. They are solitary, nocturnal animals, mainly active at twilight and at night. They have ginger or reddish-brown/auburn coats, with a white underside, white-tipped, bushy tails, black ears and legs, and golden eyes with vertical-slit pupils. Foxes have sharp teeth and a pointed muzzle, and a strong, unpleasant smell. Although they do not appear in the Original Arc more than once, they make regular appearances later.

Relation to Clan cats
Foxes are dangerous to cats. They are highly territorial, attacking other animals that step on their territory, so even if they don't eat cats, they will likely attack them on sight. They are usually dealt with by being driven out by the Clan cats, episodes being described in several books. A strong and healthy cat can chase away a fox by him/herself, though it was mentioned that an adult fox can kill a cat.[6] Foxes play a major role in the Clan cats' life. Several cats are named Fox-, like Foxleap or Foxwhisker.[7] They have expressions pertaining to foxes, like fox-length, fox-hearted, or fox dung.

History
In The New Prophecy Arc

Midnight
When the six questing cats confront Midnight (the badger), she mentions she can also speak fox, but all they talk about is killing.

Moonrise
The six questing cats are about to be attacked by a group of territorial foxes, but Midnight convinces them to leave the cats alone. One fox says that he had tasted cat before, and he liked it.

Alright, so from what read in chapters of the books and some websites online, it seems like the foxes in these Warrior books are pretty sinister and bloodthirsty.... WAIT A MINUTE! These foxes don't sound anything like foxes of the real world. After reading all of this, they sound more like wolverines, or Tasmanian devils, or some rabid bloodthirsty beasts that come from out of Hell itself. What kind of nonsense is this?  >:(
I know these books are all FICTION and fantasy, and every good story needs antagonists. However, I think that the foxes don't seem all too realistic in these stories.... even though its fiction. I just feel like they over-did it... but that's just my opinion.

More from Warrior.wikia.com
Relation to Twolegs (Humans)
Foxes are troublesome creatures as they steal poultry from around Twoleg nests. Twolegs usually set up traps to catch and kill foxes. They can attack baby Twolegs and adult Twolegs. They also eat chickens, animals that Twolegs buy and feed to make them bigger and eat them or lay eggs. Foxes also will attack Twoleg pets, such as rabbits, guinea pigs and kittypets if they don't run or stay out of the fox's way. They are as much as a danger to Twolegs as they are to cats. Some are even made pets by Twolegs, though foxes aren't really good pets, as they are dangerous, wild animals.

-Facepalm- What kind of rubbish is this?  ::)  Yes, foxes can be a pest by stealing poultry from farms and ranches. BUT they don't attack people! Foxes are too afraid of humans to go up and attack them, unless the human had the fox cornered, caught in a trap, or the fox had a bad case of rabies (I did hear of a case where a woman was attacked by a rabid fox). Other than that, foxes want to avoid being seen by people.

Just look how shy and cautious this wild red fox is toward this man and his daughter.

The Truth:
In reality, foxes are more skitish and shy than you think. It's true that they will defend their territory and their food from other animals. If the animal invading their territory is a lot larger than they are, they won't try to fight an animal they can't win against. They will try to scare it away by barking and yapping. It's also true that foxes will kill domestic cats, even though it is rare. NO fox in their right mind would attack a clan of cats, unless it had rabies or was suicidal. They aren't that bold as the books say they are, since it's just FICTION. Foxes are shy animals that just want to be alone and live their own life. Like most predator animals, a fox won't go around looking for fights, because they don't want to risk injuries that could handicap them for survival. They don't have time to pick fights with other carnivorous animals.

Some Warrior Fans Take it too Serious:
I do have many fox characters, they range in many sizes, shapes, and speices. Out of all the fox characters I have, NONE are really evil.... well maybe except for Marik and Bakura the fennecs, but they aren't big enough to steal kittens or fight clan cats. There have been times when clan cats wanted to kill either Marik or Bakura all because they were foxes. COME ON! They are FENNEC FOXES! They are alot smaller than a domestic cat and are certainly not big enough to steal a kit. They are pretty much the size of a kit!
All of my fox characters are friends with clan cats in some way, whether it's just aquaintences, pals, amigos, cuddle buddies, pets, etc. None of my fox characters are evil enough to go out and do harm to clans. But almost more often than not, I get harassed by clan cats that don't know me. They automatically accuse me of being some evil, kit killing, beast. NOT all fox roleplayers are out to steal your kits! Alot of them are out minding their own buisness, doing their own little foxy roleplay, until some clan cats come around and want to harass them by saying, "We must get rid of these foxes! They know where our camp is! They will kill all our kits!" Oh please, a sparklewolf is more likely going to steal your kits than me.  ::)
Not only that, clans cats have killed my fox kits during roleplays. Some powerplay kill the kits, while some others did it in a realistic way. I've lost more fox kits to clan cats that I pretty much lost count. Some of the Warrior roleplayers thought it was okay to kill baby foxes, but they throw a big fit if someone tries to touch their kittens. What's wrong with this picture?

Now there are some Warrior roleplayers who aren't like that. I've met some who DON'T attack a nearby fox, unless the fox is bothering them. Some warriors or warrior leaders will be reasonable and say, "If it's not threatening us, then we don't have a reason to attack it."

Not all Fox Characters are Evil!

Do these foxes look evil to you? Do you think if you saw them running around in FH that they would want to steal kits and harm clans?

What about this one?

Or these ones?

There are More Dangerous Animals Than Foxes
I have some non-fox animal characters that could be just as dangerous than a fox. I got one bobcat character and a coyote character. In reality, a bobcat can be more dangerous than a fox. Since bobcats are not mentioned in the books ((since the books take place in England where bobcats aren't native)) some of the clan cats don't take him as a serious threat. WAKE UP CALL! Bobcats are bigger and more dangerous! I've had a neighbor who lost some of his chickens and his kitty to a bobcat. The bobcat was eventually trapped and relocated.
Rant over.... Okay... -takes a deep breathe-... I'm calm now

What do you think of all this?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:22:35 pm by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Re: Not Every Fox is "Evil" - Some Warrior RPers Get too Carried Away
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:15 am »
Not everyone is as smart as this. Heck, I didn't even know this. And the fox in warriors, was a fox-DOG to correct the wikipedia... >:( I agree with you, truly.
Roleplaying as a fox is cool, especially as an arctic fox to me.
Maybe these warriors are trying to roleplay by the book...
Who knows. But it is disturbing when you come across a Clan as a fox.
But seriously people, a FENNEC fox? now that's a little... Whats the word... Strange.
People should know what powerplaying is, and know you aren't one, and know if anyone powerplays, you IGNORE them.
Heh, some people just don't know these facts, like me. Maybe they just go by the book ^^ I blame all Erins. Just kidding. But this was well-said, I agree.
Warrior fans probably do, though I don't go in Flourite plains often, I guess this makes sense. *sigh* Flourite Plains, expect anything.

~Hugrf

BouncyLion101

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:23:21 am »
Hm..well, not a lot of people know this information. I barely knew anything about foxes before I read this. XD

But many warrior cats may think that foxes are that way because it was in the book and they may not be as informed about foxes and what how they act in the wild.

I don't have a problem with foxes, in fact I think they're a really beautiful species. c:
But there's always the handy dandy block button if the cats get on your nerves.~

And they attack you on your Fennec Fox characters??...*clingfully huggles little fox characters*
Maybe if they attack you on your Fennec Fox character just explain to them the size of your character in real life, lol.

Offline mossstar1992

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Poofle-Woofle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:43:15 am »
yes i only attack a fox if it actualy attacks the clan im in.

Offline meowool

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:28 am »
I think the Erins mean by 'Fox-Dog' is that it is male. I had that a bit when I had my first character as vitani. (I never roleplayed but it was the first thing I could think of for some reason.) And I got people roleplaying snarling at me, even though thier character wasn't from the same world.

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »
I know this all too well.

So I was on my seemingly innocent fox, simply wondering about when the patrol of cats saw me and got their clan and so on. There was only one literate role player who didn't powerplay, and the rest were. -_-' How fun. Anyway, long story short they got mad at ME for powerplaying, when these lions sized warrior cats are jumping on me screeching "-rips out eyes and claws back-" And I wasn't even powerplaying! I was "Taavi turned around, snapping at the warrior who had her tail. She lunged at him knocking him off." I didn't really hurt your cat, did I? I simply knocked you on your tail! I had 10 other cats on me at once, and I was trying not to powerplay! And then they started to yell at me for not responding to individual attacks. <.<

However, I think that the foxes should stay the way they are in the Warriors books, they have had a significant role in the books, and if they were to turn friendly... then the whole history of the books have to change. o.o But in roleplays, they should stop harming foxes who pass by on PUBLIC maps.  
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline kopat

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • ?I ? Big Cats?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »
'._. Yes. I saw your character, Kopper, when my clan and I were in Flourite and they were getting freaked out about a fox..... When you were just laying there doing nothing. XD

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:22 am »
Haha yes. Only, I was Taavi not Kopper. Kopper was running about and I was laying there waiting for a friend in that clan.
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline WarriorMoo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Love and Bazookas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:02 am »
Erin Hunter, how disappointing!
Conveying such poor and untrue knowledge about foxes to children like the wolves in the North American population!
I mean, sure wolves /have/ killed people, but we're talking back in the ancient times of Europe.
But to say such untrue things about the nature of foxes! Foxes! into a series and having people believe it!
That's disgraceful. What a shame, Warriors series.

That aside,
This truly is sad.
I love foxes, they're probably my favorite kind of wild canine out there.
And animals like Arctic and Fennec Foxes..do you see Arctic Foxes roaming around in warm, temperate forests where these feral cats live? No sir!
"BAZOOKA!"

^ Sofas are awesome.

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:27 am »
I'm sorry you had to experience this LadyAlizarin, and anyone else who had to D: I know the feeling of getting attacked for now reason x.x But I'm going to try and explain the Warrior RP's point of view, since I used to RP as Warrior cats and I have read the series. So here I go (just to be clear Im not defending or attacking any side, just simply trying to shed some light on the other side of this problem)

In the series, the main enemy of the Clans were other Clans. But, of course, it would get a bit boring if all the cats did was beat the stuffing out of each other. So, the Erins had to add more antagonists. They chose Dogs, natural enemies with cats. Makes sense right? But in the fifth book in the first Arc, the main Clan had a huge problem with a pack of dog-wolf things, and they defeated them. So that takes dogs out of the picture for a while. So again, an antagonist spot is needing to be filled. So foxes were chosen. The the books (obviously not in real life as shown above) foxes cannot communicate with cats, and would attack without question, and would sometimes be mentioned at Gatherings (when the Clans join together) when they ate a kit. So I am guessing the Warrior RPs are trying to stick to the books as much as they can, and so when they see a fox, the connect the dots.

Then again though, it does not give them the right to attack random RPers out of no where. So yeah, just trying to give the other side of the situation x3x
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?