Author Topic: Interspecies relationships  (Read 2830 times)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Interspecies relationships
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:25 pm »
Opinions on Interspecies Relationships

This evening, we shall be discussing interspecies relationships. Yay.
By 'interspecies' I mean, relationships between characters that are of different species. Similar to interspecific competition, where members of different species compete for resources.
For example, a lion being mates with a wolf. Or a cat being mates with a leopard. There are many possible combinations in FeralHeart.
What are your opinions on these types of 'relationships', if we can call them that, in terms of roleplay and OOC?

My thoughts on this is are that these odd and sometimes outlandish pairings are acceptable out of RP. But in RP terms, especially if the roleplay and the characters are realistic, animals should be mates with members of their own species, or a species that they can produce viable offspring with. Such as wolves and coyotes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:59:13 am by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Re: Interspecies relationships
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »
I think it's rather creative in my opinion and maybe even a bit cute.
I don't really have a problem with it for certain roleplay purposes in making creative new species such as a mix between a wolf and lion just for the sake of it.
I do believe it can be a big odd sometimes but it I believe can happen sometimes if someone is bored and can't find any of their species.

Take my made-up furry beast cat for example and a normal cat. I know they aren't the most different in this topic, but depending on the specie difference it can either be cute in a way or weird to others.
I don't really have much of a problem with it. c:

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:48:33 pm »
I personally think its just fine in roleplay. I like it when people think outside the box. Too much realism gets terribly dull to me and I love quirky little spins on these like oddball couples. It opens up a lot of questions realism can't reach like HOW would an offspring like that, even if it could not ever happen in real life, behave/act like? By doing this, you can put forth our own creative ideas instead of having to stick to the mundane repetition of "what is real" and as for what the end result would be would vary with every person that plays it. Maybe for one person, these "never-could-happen hybrids" would act more like their father, or for someone else, more like their mother's species. Maybe for another person, it doesn't matter and goes either way. Maybe for another person, their character's mixed background causes a problem either socially or physically. Maybe it doesn't.

Perfectly acceptable in role play in my book

Offline DarkMist

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:36:57 am »
I really don't see a problem with it. It can be used as a good plot point in RP (like some sort of forbidden love? cliche, i know, but it could work), and sometimes it can also be quite cute if pulled off well. Plus, the possible children could be really interesting, especially when you have to consider what traits of the two species to include in the baby. Also, I agree with everything Silhouette said.
back after a long time of being gone.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:45:28 am »
I see nothing wrong with it. In the world of roleplay, anything can happen... even two species coming together to find romance and produce a new hybrid species.
I have some friends who have roleplayed with that kind of interspecies relationship plot. Like a hyena and a cat becoming mates and producing a cat/hyena hybrid. It's very unlikely in the real world, but in FH it can happen.

There  have even  been times when some of my characters were one species, and some character of another species wanted a relationship with them. My bobcat character, Kojak, has had some clan cat suitors before. I even considered going along with their roleplay and producing bobcat/domestic cat hybrids. It hasn't happened yet, but someday it might. It would make for an interesting story.
There was even a time when my fox character, Kopper, had caught the eye of a clan cat tom.... I thought it was strange, since foxes are considered dangerous foes in the WC series. I don't really mind that kind of twist though.
Inactive

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:25 am »

Hmm... I think it's very creative. It's nice seeing something than the "normal" relationship between two species. ( Lion + lion, Wolf + wolf, ect.) Like the posts before me, it could add some "spice" or some excitement to a RP. Even though it seems very unlikely that the "couple" would be excepted the same way as a "same species" couple would. The RP may even criticize the couple for not being "realistic" or the common, " That would never happen in the wild"...

Even though it might be odd seeing the pair, I still think it's a very creative. :3

Offline BlackWolfSoul

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
I use to have a friend, who's lion had a love relationship with a dolphin... I thought that is very cute!!! ;3 Because why not? It's maybe a bit weird, but I don't mind it. It was cute seeing my friend going to see it's mate through 3 places in Feral Heart, just because 'she can't get out of the water because she is a dolphin'. I like relationships like this, because it shows how creative people can be. If people say that it's 'unrealistic' or something, I think that they must be silly to say this, because heyyyy... It's a game. It was made for people to make new relationships and be creative! Feral Heart itself, is an unrealistic world. So In my opinion, this kind of relationships are cute and I don't mind them. :3

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »
@Natix,
A lion and a dolphin.. Better love story than Tw- *SLAP*
Sorry about that. I think it's an adorable concept, but I couldn't help myself |D.
Back on topic. As stated multiple times before me, I find nothing wrong with these kind of relationships. Although some of them wouldn't technically work in real life and realistic RolePlays, it's very creative and cute to look at. Kudos to the people who think outside the box.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 04:03:37 pm »
Animals can't talk. Yet most "realistic" roleplays are perfectly fine with talking animals.

So if animals of different species can talk to each other, it's fine for different species to be mates in roleplay. Yes, it's unrealistic, but so is animals talking and everybody is ok with that.

Offline Wildfang1

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:40 pm »
In real life there are hybrids created from different species. We have a donkey and a horse that gives us the mule. We have Tigers and Lions that gave us Ligers(lion father/tiger mother) and Tigons(tiger father/ lioness mother). We also have Wolfdogs that are a wolf and dog mix. All of these are deliberate mixes by humans, and all the animal offspring listed above cannot breed, except for the wolfdog.
As long as the story makes sense, for example the animals met at a zoo or circus or were illegally captured by poachers, it works. Also, this is not the real world at all, so if a person wants to have a lion and wolf breed that's up to them. I think people should be able to RP how they want, and not have people tell them how they should RP.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:37:29 pm by Cynthia »