Poll

Do you like the Gender Tagging? (F M)

Yes. Its useful.
Its okay...
No

Author Topic: Gender Tags  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Tags
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:23 pm »
I see them most of the time and I've always wondered where they came from and why they became a 'trend' inside of FeralHeart. In my defense I'm usually the one who doesn't really mind them or in this case 'care' for them. I mean I see characters that are 'realistic' and can be 'found in the wild' yet the character is named let's make up a name here...'Rosie F Wolf' and it's a black canine with white underfur bright blue eyes and a brightly pink nose. I just..ahh I don't want to be rude or judgmental at all which is why I tend to stay away from them and if they want to make small talk with me then small talk they will get. I have never added Gender or Species tags to my character's names only group tags (Ex. TEC) due to the fact that it's easier to find a group for roleplay/social purposes. Seeing as TEC is more of a social group for me rather than a roleplaying group it's easier for people to find me if they want to be social or maybe roleplay with someone who is in a certain group. Other than that I use the bios given in game to describe my character's gender and or species which is what I have been sticking too. I would really love to know who started this trend and why they started it in their defense I'm actually very curious to find out seeing as I've been playing FeralHeart since the first day it came out back in 2011. Remember that everyone has different opinions on things and there is no right or wrong answers thank you.

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »
Are we just talking about gender tags here? When I first began to explore different role plays I would hang around on a character I named "Macy The Wolf" and I never thought of it as a tag of sorts, but more of her full name. "The Wolf" to me, was completely necessary because it was her full title... kind of. (I grew out of it and decided just to call her "Macy" though xD) Gender tags on the other hand are a bit different, I will agree with you on that. Though, like others have said before me, I think people are just too lazy to fill in their bios or care to read everyone's. I think you'll also find that the new players who've started to play and interact put the gender tag on their name to find acceptance, unless they're sitting at the mate centre, they're probably just trying to make some friends and join a group. c:

I once saw someone with "F Lioness" on the end of their name. .-. derp.

Offline Sandytails

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • I rly like robots tbh
    • neon-chann.deviantart.com
    • wildbreak
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 10:43:48 pm »
I guess it's useful for when you're typing an rp post, but they haven't told you their character's gender. Other than that, I don't see the use in the tag. Besides, it makes the name look odd :/ I won't mind if people use it, tho.
Gif of Bitobae by Deathy <3

Find me on FH with the usernames Sandytails, Clawingeyes, Magolor, Spring-trap and Whirl!

DreamerDay

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »
Added a poll~

Thank you all for your opinions.

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »
I personally don't mind them unless they're kind of showing the 'stereotypical' unrealisticness in their character and posts. I'm like BerryMutt on this, I stay away from them. Since I'm a role play owner. I also don't allow them in my role plays. That is what bios are for. I know most of the previous post talk is from a mapless role play stand point, but to me it's more realistic to have to guess than to see the gender and/or species. Even if they're made up, it's still more interesting to learn. To my own view, most of the gender/species tags are obvious, because most of them make their characters look the gender/species. Of course there are the few where you just can't tell. But then again so has it in real life, and with both humans and animals, you know?

Again, I don't mind what others do to their characters. But I do enforce my role play strict guidelines that I don't allow gender/species tags in my role plays.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »
I really don't use gender tags in my character names, because I don't think it's really necessary. The only time I use a species tag in the name is when my character is something not many people would recognize, like "unicorn", "dragon", "manticore", "bobcat", "grey fox", "jaguarundi", and so on.
I don't think it's really necessary for people to use gender tags like "M" or "F", because that's what bios are for. And besides, if your character is obviously a lioness then there's no need for "Lisa F Lioness" in the name description. It would be better if it was just "Lisa."
Inactive

Offline Misinterpreted

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 03:22:15 am »
To be honest, it bothers me quite a bit. Especially when their name almost obviously states they are that gender. I guess people like this just want themselves to be noticed as that gender. But there is a blank space in the bio tab so I see no use for the gender tag. But that's just my opinion.

Offline The_Black_Cat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 06:46:08 am »
I use the gender tags, but only if my character's gender isn't obvious. Clearly if I'm roleplaying as a lion with a mane, my lion is male. But it might not be as clear with some of my other characters, so I use the gender tag. Although I also only use the gender tags for roleplay characters. My fursonas which I use for wandering around FH and chatting when I have nothing else to do, do not have a gender tag because people don't necessarily need to know what my gender is.
I also use the species tags for roleplay characters when the species is not obvious. I don't use it for regular wolves/lions/foxes because those are fairly easy to distinguish. But I also roleplay as ocelots/cheetahs/jaguars/various types of leopards and those can be slightly harder to identify. And I also use tags also for specific types of characters as well as species (such as my demon character).
And regarding bios - I've known about them since I started. However, just as some people don't know about bios or don't use them, I'm sure there's plenty out there who don't bother to check other people's bios.

Offline Riggs

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • doggyquts.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:03 am »
In my own personal opinion, these things have always bothered me. I have never really liked putting tags into my characters name at ALL. Whether it is for a Roleplay or just to state my characters gender. But I don't really mind if others use it, it's not my character.

Offline anahel

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • the matrix has you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 01:04:17 am »
I don't use them, simply because they look asymmetrical and it bothers me, along with the fact that your bio is definitly the place for that. Names tend to give it away, too. (Although I had a male named Bartholomew who everyone thought was a girl, so...)

returning 2011 player on a new account. just trying to remember how it all works c:
avi from here