Author Topic: Disabilities?  (Read 6351 times)

Offline UserNotFound

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Bowties are cool
    • View Profile
Disabilities?
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:41 am »
Just thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss.
Do you have any disabilities that affects you in your life? If so, what are they and how do they affect you? If you don't have any disabilities, have you ever wondered how people deals with them or what was it like? Were they affected? Do you/they ever get bullied by being different from others? I'd like to hear your experience a bit, and then I could tell mine. You don't need to have a disability to discuss this, you can have experience with some people who have problems. I heard some people have a weird fear that they're scared and uncomfortable around disabled people and I was surprised.

Timey wimey stuff
Ingame user: ~TheScrub~ and BigBangTheoryTbs

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Re: Disabilities?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:52:47 am »
Hmmm...

I don't have any exact disabilities that I know of other than needing glasses to see words that are further away, and right now I'm supposed to have my ankle which has been bugging me for a while get checked out. Nothing too serious, though.

But this kind of subject (Mental disabilities especially) certainly interest me, and for a while I've thought of what it'd be like to be schizophrenic or blind for example. We can't really know unless we actually had them obviously, but still. I wouldn't want to be in these kinds of states either to be honest, but the whole mystery fascinates me.

I know someone on dA who has schizophrenia, for example, and even talked to him a little bit - He seemed very nice, and /extremely/ hyper considering how many journals I've seen from him that were purposely for that reason. xD Although when someone said they hated him, he took it literally. That I can easily imagine but he's rather sensitive, even compared to me.

Also, I have a couple few close family members who have ADD... With me having a slow brain, it's rather hard to imagine their minds working so fast, yet the concentration difficulties are somewhat understandable. Take in mind I don't know much about ADD. They seem like just about anyone, though. ^^

Just spewing out what I think at like... What? Three o'clock to six o'clock in American timezones? (Of which I'm in. |D) But yee, curious to see how this discussion rolls out if I somehow go active on here once more.

Offline UserNotFound

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Bowties are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
I've never met anyone with schizophrenia, though that interests me. I myself have some problems too. My brother has aspergers and he's really smart. I'm really proud of him, even though he doesn't act very normal and his behavior can be sometimes strange. <3 He has problems with socializing, but that's just part of the disorder. He has other disorders, where he couldn't balance. I forgot what it's called. He can walk and balance well for that disorder.

I wonder what it's like being blind. I wear glasses though. It's not very blurry when I take them off, but I can't see things at far distances. That would be too scar being blind, even more scary than being deaf in my opinion. I have ADHD. I can't concentrate and focus well in school unless I take my medication. I can be very hyper. My friend's ADHD is so strong, she could stay up until 2 AM or later even with medication.

I'm also deaf, profoundly hearing loss. Meaning that I can't hear all the way. I was born deaf, and it seems perfectly normal when the doctors checked my ears after they found out I was deaf. It wasn't genetics, either. I have two cochlear implants, so now I can hear. I can't make out words well on TV, so I need some captions. ^^

I know a bit of ASL (American Sign language). I take my cochlear implants off while I sleep, shower and go swimming. Whenever I wake up in the morning and my mom wants to tell me to come here, she flickers the light off and on. She says simple words in ASL such as 'wait'. I get confused sometimes when I tell people I'm deaf and they feel pity for me because it's not that bad for me honestly. ;^;

Timey wimey stuff
Ingame user: ~TheScrub~ and BigBangTheoryTbs

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »
No, I don't have any disabilities, but i have always wondered what they are thinking or what they would say if they could tell us.
pm for free art i need practice

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:49:16 am »
I myself am well interested in these topics.

As for myself, I don't have disabilities, per say, but I do have a few impairments.
For example, in terms of physical, I have stigmatic eyes (causes slight double vision) and a hypoactive thyroid. Nothing big, but I still wear glasses and go for frequent bloodwork and take hormonal balances.

As for mental, I don't have disabilities, but I do have a few minor conditions (ADD, OCD, SPD [the sensory one, not the pelvic one]). Of course, this combination made me kinda quirky as a kid, and I never really had any "real" friends until middle school, but otherwise, it was just being in crowded areas for too long that really got me.

But different conditions such as these certainly interest me. Especially lately I've been doing some studying on psychology and the like.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

DreamerDay

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:18:01 pm »
I don't have disabilities but I do have a few things I cat really do as before. Since I have a bad knee, I can't really run but skip run. I have jump long distance, but just up and down

Uh, I can't stay on the laptop too long because my eyes are cross eye and acts weird when it sees small words. This is why I can't stay in the game too long. Not only that, I'm just cross eye.

Also, I can't stand up long. I got serious back pain.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:24:24 pm »
I don't have disabilities but I do have a few things I cat really do as before. Since I have a bad knee, I can't really run but skip run. I have jump long distance, but just up and down

Uh, I can't stay on the laptop too long because my eyes are cross eye and acts weird when it sees small words. This is why I can't stay in the game too long. Not only that, I'm just cross eye.

Also, I can't stand up long. I got serious back pain.

I have knee issues as well, and nor am I able to run/skip/jog, or do some of the previous hobbies I loved. Other than that, I don't believe I have any sort of real disability.

Some of the things people have posted have really made be feel for them. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:41:26 pm by warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »
Well my diagnosed mental disorders  would include
depression; anxiety; extreme paranoia; possible add; and psychosis/possible paranoid schizophrenia.
(Psychosis is the worst and most scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life. It is not fun...)
I also have thyroid issues - yeah

Offline Neowulf

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Somewhere, in an alternate universe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:10:06 am »
I mostly just have ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. It makes things really difficult...

Art gallery
[Find me in-game as Neowulf]

DreamerDay

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:19 am »
Adding on (from previous post), I think I'm beginning to have sensitive eyes. Like, whenever I put any light on, or if any lights are already on, they start burning! I don't know if I'm becoming a vampire or something, that's really strange.