Author Topic: RPS Conflict  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
RPS Conflict
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:01:08 am »
I've been hangin' around SB a lot lately, and I realized a little something. Many users are starting to express their distaste for roleplay samples. For those who don't know, a roleplay sample is a sort of "test" to make sure a user has well written posts before joining the roleplay. Anyway, these people complain that all hosts who use rpses think that they're better than everyone else, if users do not roleplay exactly like them, they are inferior, etc. But I do not believe this to be true. Out of the hundreds of roleplay exchanges I've seen, only one or two users truly had that mentality. I'm not siding with either point of view, but I do think that the use of a rps has changed from a measure to ensure none of the "kills no miss" or powerplayers get into a "literate" group, to a college essay for some of the more "mature" packs, though the majority still just ensure that the post is well written, etc etc.

But this is just some vagabond's hopefully informative subrant. But if you agree, or disagree with the fuss on rps, I'm interested to hear what you have to say.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:10:19 am by Scuttlebutt »

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: RPS Conflict (Controversial issue)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:14:05 am »
I just see roleplay samples as a little insight on the person themselves and what their style is. When I ask for an rps, I am seeing how the person roleplays and what I can do to adjust. ~
But it is sad how others can have that mentality but that's just how some people are.
Interesting topic ~!

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: RPS Conflict
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:24:59 am »
I just see roleplay samples as a little insight on the person themselves and what their style is. When I ask for an rps, I am seeing how the person roleplays and what I can do to adjust. ~
But it is sad how others can have that mentality but that's just how some people are.
Interesting topic ~!
I agree with this. I tried to stay as unbiased as I could in the main post, but I think that some should be a bit easier with their rpses. I just use them to make sure that the person is realistic enough and doesn't powerplay.

nya

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:28:19 am »
Honestly, roleplay samples are good from my point of view. People need to learn that not all people have the same mindset as them, and try and make a big deal out of it. But that's just how it is.

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:35:39 am »
I have no problem with role play examples, but some people can't do them depending on there role play skill, but that's not a problem to me. I think the role play examples are a good way to express your skill, and even though some people may not like them it will help them improve more.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:20 am »
I think RP samples are perfectly fine to ask for, without being guilt-tripped or heckled for thinking someone's better than everyone else. The simple fact is that if you RP like:
*looks around*
then maybe you aren't cut out for those more put together RPs. Roleplaying is a skill, since it's just a form of good storytelling. It's writing. Younger people may have a tough time will spelling, or large vocabulary, and that's okay. They will learn.
There is definitely a sense of maturity with the way you RP. Is that wrong? No.
The way you structure a sentence / tell a story changes as you age. The above example lacked any meaning, purpose, impact, and detail. It could have just as easily been omitted and nothing would change.

As long as users remember to not powerplay, and keep their posts meaningful I don't think length really matters as much, since some people like to put requirements on that. You can't really force a story to be told better than it's going to be.

The whole using *s or -s or some type of indicator to express action is so widespread, it's pretty much the first form of RP anyone learns on the internet.
If you decide to aspire to become a "good" RPer, then it should become your goal to improve from there.
While those indicators work for a vast majority, their purpose is convey short, concise action quickly. Which they do. I use it mostly for speaking OOC, since I don't find it appropriate for storytelling.
What most people call "forum-style" RP is much easier to read and comprehend, not to mention it gives more opportunity to fill with detail, especially when telling from a third person view.
Ex:
*bites, hard*
vs
Rayne suddenly lunged forward, jaws open, ready to catch her victim by the throat.

Even keeping it very simple, as I did, still plenty more detail packed into that one statement.

So I guess it just comes down to whether or not your RP is just for the sake of RPing, or something more. A story to be told. Most often those "mature" RPs are just trying to tell a story, based on some sort of vision the creator had.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:39:08 am »
Yeah, I agree with the use of roleplay samples, but I still do think that a few groups really are a bit harsh with them. I'm decently picky with my own samples, but I still give those who don't quite make the cut a chance to join my groups.

nya

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 02:52:29 am »
Honestly, I think role-play samples are neither good nor bad, nor any sort of offense or praise to anyone. They're simply a way to discover if the person you are asking one from role-plays in your desired style. It's not like there's any wrong or right way to role-play, since it's an activity that's completely based around creativity and personal preference. I don't understand those who get angered by it -- it is not meant to offend anyone or label anyone as a "bad writer/role-player".
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Rostova

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
    • BurrBoi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 06:40:01 am »
I don't really think rp samples are a big problem.....

Rp samples are just to check spelling, grammar, if the player fits the quality of the roleplay, etc. Honestly players shouldn't get so mad over this. When a player is hoping to host a roleplay, i don't really think they want powerplayers, so they decide their group needs an rp sample, that shouldn't be a problem.

But thats my opinion.

Lights and streetlamps flicker in the snow

Offline CometTrail

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • give me sinnoh remakes or give me death
    • aero-mancer
    • xcomettrailx
    • c0mettrail
    • c0mettrail
    • c0mettrail
    • View Profile