Author Topic: Sexuality in names  (Read 7222 times)

Offline anotherstatistic

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • occupation? being your typical ninth grader.
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Sexuality in names
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:51 am »
I admit, I don't mind it at all. I'm queer myself, and many of us don't mind using once-derogatory labels; I do have a bias on some level.
Will update later.
wow

Offline Logical

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 18
  • Floofy Logi says hi.:3
    • View Profile
    • My dA~Logical Loves da watcher floofs~
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »
Me as a member of the LGBT community find it offensive on some degree, if your proud your proud, or you just want to display it..I guess I can Isley sit by for it. But, it is very irrational for one to sit there and simply slander the Gay/bi/lesbian community. I do strongly dislike it since more and more people consider it a joke now. Tis a small post compared to others I've seen, but I just do not have that much left to say.

Offline Lukas245

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • You Shall Not Touch My Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 01:43:54 pm »
I don't find much reasoning in arguing over some stupid person who decided
'Hm lets put gay in my name because i am' thats them for them, but it still ticks me off, Im probably one of the few Christians on this game so just to think about that makes me SICK to the stomach when it says in the bible not to be gay, but still, I am honest enough to say I will let them be them, it will only be the times when they try to talk to me for them to be there mate, or make the stereo-typical gay people joke. I understand some of them just want to stand out and be different....but is it really worth offending others?
I used to be WolfInCourt on the forums, but just call me Kuesuto now or Kue.
FH Username:Lukas245
IW Username:WolfinHeulen
WolfSoul Username: Kuesuto
           See you soon~
[img/]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/077/e/d/dubstep_art_by_bronyswag-d5yfnkr.png[/img]

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:03 pm »
I don't find much reasoning in arguing over some stupid person who decided
'Hm lets put gay in my name because i am' thats them for them, but it still ticks me off, Im probably one of the few Christians on this game so just to think about that makes me SICK to the stomach when it says in the bible not to be gay, but still, I am honest enough to say I will let them be them, it will only be the times when they try to talk to me for them to be there mate, or make the stereo-typical gay people joke. I understand some of them just want to stand out and be different....but is it really worth offending others?

Let's try not to dig up older posts, yes? This post was from last November.

However, since it's still fairly relevant for conversation, I will keep it unlocked for now.

----------------------

My thoughts on this topic, though, are a little conflicted, but not for the reason that I'm Christian (if you're LGBT, allied, etc., it doesn't bother me one bit, since it's not my place to judge. It's not my life, and regardless of my thoughts on it, I still love people for the good in each one, no matter what sort of life they might lead).

What gets me about these characters that specify they sexual orientation in their names is the fact that they're putting an identifying "label" on themselves, of sorts.

Now, if you have it in your bio, that's fine and dandy, since it's just another aspect of your character--but it's not their identity. Your character, just like in people, being gay is not the very fiber of their being. You are not a different species because you are gay, nor are you suddenly thrown to a different level or place in society because of it (ideally). Especially in the animal kingdom, they.. Really don't care so much.

Much like being a lion with a laid-back personality, or a she-wolf who has a particularly pretty howl (just for example), it's not their identity, ultimately. It's just an aspect about them. And so, this said, I feel that those who have to specify their character sexuality in their name (and not just bio) are doing this for some sort of attention.
Of course, I'm not calling them attention-hoggers, because this often isn't the case. But let's say if they're at a mate center and want it to be open that their character is straight, or gay, so a certain gender will know to take interest in them (or not to). I suppose I can understand in that respect, but again, you do have bios, and not all users like to spend time at the mate center.

But if it's just in general, you insist on putting your character's sexuality in their name as the fore-front of what is seen in them, I feel like this depreciates the character for who they are deeper within. Even real LGBT people often don't go throwing their sexuality in the face of society (well, maybe sometimes in awareness events or whatnot xD), but in the end? They wake up in the morning like everyone else, have friends, chat on the phone, check their email, go out for lunch and complain about their order being overdone just like anybody else out there.

The same goes for these characters. They have personalities and traits that are much more significant and unique about them than what they're attracted to, and so I feel like sexuality (just like your hopes/dreams/favorite color) should be secondary, a little deeper within, something you find out by getting to know that person or character.

So, personally, I think the tags are a bit much, but if you still like them? D'okay then. That works, too. o:
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Koori

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Self-Proclaimed Official Hobo of Bonfire Island
    • Koori-Tora
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 11:18:42 pm »
/Accidentally brings up old post
What gets me about these characters that specify they sexual orientation in their names is the fact that they're putting an identifying "label" on themselves, of sorts.
That basically sums up my two cents on this. I feel like all these extra labels on our names are unnecessary... Like we're wearing all our information on tags in our ears, like cattle. I've noticed that some people tend to put LGBT and such on a high pedestal, as if they're better than the rest of us. Come on, guys, really? It's like WhiteLightHeart said- they're just people like you and me. We don't need all these labels. It's unnecessary and also, I feel like it's begging for bullying.
Anyway, that's it. I'll let this thread explode, die, or get locked now. XD
Check out Myatar Legends! It's an IT server with a diverse choice of character models [including gryphon options], separate marking and eye colors, horns/antlers... Just take a look for yourself! http://myatarlegends.forumotion.com/

Offline Emotcionz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • How much does your building weigh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:37 am »
I NEVER liked yaoi/yuri characters. I found them annoying, and 2012 and general chat was a convention for them.

I'm all up for gay rights its self, but there is times where I think it's just attention seeking
Animals have homosexual tendencies and it's perfectly natural, but I prefer it in bios rather than your name.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:26:54 am by Iambuffie »

Move your cursor in time with her.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »
I NEVER liked yaoi/yuri characters. I found them annoying, and 2012 and general chat was a convention for them.

What is this 'Yaoi/Yuri that you speak of?

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

What is this 'Yaoi/Yuri that you speak of?

Yaoi/yuri is Japanese for gay/lesbian.
Inactive

Offline Mewwn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 02:39:53 pm »
I ran into a wolf who was called "Gayfeather" who was a WC, and he went up to random toms and started 'making out' with them -_-

I dislike when people are made fun of that way, but when someone is just expressing who they really are, by putting something like "Jake Gay" or "Sarah Bi" In there names, I am told that they are just who they are, and they are proud.